A fixed dental bridge is a non-removable prosthesis attached to remaining natural teeth. The dental bridge fills the space from a missing tooth or teeth.
A dental bridge consists of the following components:
- The creation of an artificial tooth, which is used as a tooth replacement
- A crown is created to cap the surrounding teeth
- The artificial tooth is joined with the dental crowns to securely fit the new tooth into place
Benefits of Dental Bridges
The advantages of a fixed dental bridge include:
- Non-removable – The bridge is fixed in your mouth, therefore, you don’t have to worry about removing it for a cleaning.
- Long lasting – Dental bridges are durable and known to last several years with proper care and regular dental visits.
- Protective – Not only is the bridge restoring the space where your tooth is missing, it also helps protect and strengthen the teeth around it.
- Maintain the shape of your face – A bridge will help your teeth from shifting and maintain the shape of your face overall.
- An alternative to implants – Dental bridges are a less invasive process than implants. For patients that are not partial to surgical procedures, bridges are a great and fast alternative.
- Restores smile – A dental bridge helps to improve the color and shape of teeth making your smile look great!
The Types of Dental Bridges
- Traditional Bridges – The traditional bridge is the most common type. It is made of ceramics or porcelain that is fused to metals.
- Cantilever Bridges – This bridge is used when there are adjacent teeth on only one side of the missing tooth. This type of bridge is not very common.
- Maryland Bonded Bridges – This bridge consists of metal or porcelain wings on each side that are bonded to your existing teeth.
Caring for a Dental Bridge
Brushing twice a day and flossing will aid in taking proper care of your dental bridge. Daily tooth care will help to prevent tooth decay or gum disease, which may lead to tooth loss as well as other health issues. Additionally, regular visits to your dentist are vital in keeping your mouth clean and healthy.
If you have any further questions about dental bridges and dental care, our team is here to assist you! Please contact us at 978-688-4441 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to seeing you!